Monday 27 January 2014

London - Finding my feet

Things seemed to be going smoothly with the UK Border Agency and I thought we were finished with the questions, but then my heart skipped a beat as the officer frowned at my landing card and inquired, "What's a troubadour?" Crap. Did I actually write that down? Two long flights and 40 hours of sleep deprivation must have addled my wits. I swear I meant to write minstrel. "A travelling musician," I explained and added rather lamely, "It's old English." He raised his eyebrows quizzically and, noting my banjo on my back, proceeded to scribble notes for what seemed like actual minutes. Perhaps he was sketching my increasingly worried face, from the time he took, but he finally stamped the card and waved me on through to the motherland.

So here I finally am. I've had a few long days of catching up with friends and being taught "how to tube" - learning the ropes of the extensive public transport system. I've cycled and survived on London's famously un-cycle-friendly roads and enjoyed such sights, smells and tastes as can be found in the Natural History Museum, London's China Town district and the Borough Markets. I celebrated the Scottish "Burns Day", paying homage to their most beloved poet by supping on haggis and whisky and writing my own poetry to boot. The jet-lag has worn off and I've begun the dreaded job hunt, trying to line up interviews and feeling less than thrilled about the prospect of getting stuck in a minimum wage job, if only for a few months. The weather is cold but it keeps me perky. Take that as you will. I'd say things are going fairly well and I'm optimistic about what this first week will bring.

Breakfast of FREEDOM!!!
Kensington Gardens
Natural History Museum
Borough Markets - Man Pans
Overlooking the Thames
Night lighting outside Harrods Department Store
China Town











3 comments:

  1. Nice!
    It is about time you got a blog started Scott. Hope the job hunting is going well and if you get bored you can always start back writing all your previous travels up ��

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good to hear you have arrived and already on your bike. Good luck with the job hunt.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey Scott! That looks COLD over there. Great to see they have Porage to warm the cockles of your heart.

    ReplyDelete